So, you’ve successfully survived being at home for months: working from home, playing at home, and doing everything AT HOME. And, you’re really tired of your own company. So, now it’s time to meet new people and try new things. But, how to do that? Well, here are a few suggestions for those wishing to get out, meet new people, be among others for the first time in a while.
- Volunteer in the community. When you have a passion for giving back, it is easy to find others who share that passion. Sharing a few hours of your time each month will benefit both your organization of choice and you.
- Join an amateur sport’s team. You don’t have to be an Olympian to join a gym, team, or find a group that just gets out to have fun. Find a league in your area with sites like ZogSportsor Sportsvite.
- Run a local road race. Every runner will tell you that road races are fun, communal events. Races and running clubs offer fun ways to meet new friends, see your town from a new perspective, and break a sweat. Experienced runners and novices alike can enjoy the benefits of getting involved in the runner community (don’t worry, it’s not an elite club!).
- Join your local Chamber of Commerce or a Professional Networking Group. If you own your own business, joining the Chamber of Commerce is a highly effective way to meet new people and build a network of referrals. People who start off as network acquaintances can turn into lifelong friends. The passion shared by business owners and dedicated professionals is contagious. If you don’t own your own business but take great pride in your profession and want to meet new friends who share that drive, networking events are the number one way to do it.
- Join a faith-based organization. Certainly, one of the best ways to meet new friends is through a shared love of your faith. Becoming active in a local church, synagogue or mosque will ensure that you engage with a community of like-minded people who will support you.
- Join a cultural club. If you have strong ties to your culture, consider seeking out the local club or chapter that represents your culture in your city. This can be an enriching experience and opportunity to meet others sharing the same culture.
- Join a wine club. If you enjoy a nice glass of wine and good conversation, it won’t be hard to make new friends in a wine club. Many cities have wine clubs that tour the local wine bars and wineries (where applicable). Learn more about wine and make friends on the journey!
- Join a book club. Not only are book clubs one of the best ways to meet new friends, reading is widely known to be excellent for the brain and overall emotional health. Unwind with a new book each month and join a club where you can find new friends and enjoy a discussion. Finding the right book club is easy with websites like My Book Cluband Reader’s Circle.
- Join a sports team fan club. Do you love your team? You aren’t alone! It doesn’t matter where your team is from or what sport they play, chances are there are others in your city who also love them. Joining a fan club is one of the great ways to meet friends online! If you are up for cheering on games together, you can probably find a local bar dedicated just to your team! The easiest way to find these clubs is through your team’s official website.
- Visit a museum, zoo, aquarium or national park. Spending time at one of these public places can be a great way to enjoy the day and meet new friends who share your interests. Many cities offer a variety of museums featuring collections of all kinds. If you are more inclined to spend the day with animals, many zoos and aquariums offer walking tours or wildlife classes.
- Go to a local music, food or art festival. Attending festivals is one of the best ways to meet new friends. Festivals are very communal, centered around having fun, and often include group activities like games, competitions, and demonstrations. Your local city or town newspaper has more information.
- Shop at local businesses. Local business owners are eager to meet and serve their community. Spending time in the local boutiques and restaurants in your town ensures that you can build relationships with the hard-working people who own the shops. Patronizing these businesses also create opportunities to meet other members of the community who “shop local” and could become shopping buddies.
- Go to a farmer’s market. Many towns offer monthly farmer’s markets full of great produce and local products. Like shopping locally, farmer’s markets create a fun way to support your community and surround yourself with neighbors who are interested in doing the same. If you enjoy healthy living, farmer’s markets are one of the best ways to meet new friends in a new city, because of the diverse group of people who attend.
- Take a local brewery tour. Craft beer has exploded onto the scene in recent years and. In addition to great beer, these breweries often offer tours and classes making them a great place to meet new people and have fun.
Adjusting can be difficult, but always remember that you’re not alone! If you’re wondering, “How do I meet new friends?”, try some of the ideas in this article.
Be confident, be yourself, and be open to new social connections.
Sometimes, anxiety can get in the way of meeting others. If that is a concern of yours, feel free to reach out to a professional. We are here to help and can even meet virtually!